Vaccination Law Update
The new vaccine law, Senate Bill 277 (SB77) takes effect on January 1, 2016 and requires that all children in California be fully vaccinated to attend public or private school unless they have a valid medical or valid personal beliefs exemption on file with the District before January 1, 2016. Students will have to meet all age appropriate State immunization requirements for admission to school as of July 1, 2016.
The District is required to implement SB 277 which will:
- No longer permit immunization exemptions based on personal beliefs for children enrolling in public and private schools
- Permit personal beliefs exemption (PBE) forms on file with the District by December 31, 2015 to remain valid until the student enrolls in transitional kindergarten/kindergarten or 7th grade
- Permit valid medical exemptions provided by a licensed physician
- Require the District to obtain documentation of every student's immunization status and maintain a record of the immunization
- Require the District to exclude a student from school until the immunization is obtained or an exemption is granted based on a valid medical exemption or PBE on file before January 1, 2016.
If you have questions about this new law or require information regarding free immunizations and Healthy Families coverage, please contact the District's Health Services office at (562) 690-2323 (English) and (562) 690-2324 (Spanish).
For additional parent resources: